Friday, November 18, 2011

Assignment 3 Revisited

For Assignment 3, I tried changing the positions of the various buildings and cityscapes to alter the perspective and make the "attacking" of the city more convincing, but changing the positions just made everything awkward and contrived. So I scrapped all the buildings and started with just the glow, the spiral and the background. I searched online and looked through movie posters and stills from the movie Inception, where my initial idea and inspiration came from.



From the stills and posters, it can be seen that the movie defies what people view as "common sense", altering their sense of reality by having buildings as walls, and streets as ceilings. I could incorporate that element of surrealism into my collage, so I looked online for images that depicted busy and empty streets. I also got some premade fantasy backgrounds:




Using filter functions like Overlay, Colour Dodge and Soft Light in Photoshop, I created a an image like this, where the busy streets are walls leading to a glow of unknown, which can signify hope, or a spiral out of control and mass destruction. Is the fast-paced life that comes with urbanisation a road to success, or doom? Nature makes way for progress and high-rise buildings, becoming a sacrificial pathway.


But it is not urbanisation without buildings! So I cropped out some pictures of buildings, overlaying them repetitively against the "street walls" to alter the perception of viewers. the finished collage is as below, where 10 images are manipulated and used.

Urban Fantasy


Credits:
-http://film-book.com/phoenix-film-critics-society-awards-2010-nominations-true-grit-inception/
-http://mywallpaperspot.com/the-inception-5.html

No comments:

Post a Comment