Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Lecture 3

Keitai Aesthetics!! Somehow this week's lecture was something that I could relate to, possible because I use the mobile phone camera function frequently as well. This week's lecture was about Mobile Imaging; how the mobile phone's camera function and its popularity has evolved throughout the years, and the issues alongside its evolution. Besides statistics showing the growth in camera-phone functions and sales, Jing also spoke about how the camera-phone is becoming ubiquitous and is increasing connection between people. She also talked about the rise of personal photography with such camera-phones, and how the camera-phone is a memory-capturing, communicative and expressive device, all in one.

I could relate to that, because my mobile phone has brought me so much convenience in photo-taking, be it with friends or just my surrounding environment. Looking through the photos in my phone, memories of that day would surface to my mind, reminding me of the people and events of that day. Seeing beautiful or peculiar sightings or objects would urge me to take out my mobile phone and take a picture of it because I bring my phone with me wherever I go. Sometimes, I even take photos of mundane things in life. But with such ubiquity comes issues of privacy and voyeurism, which is the issue I would like to explore for assignment 2. The basic concept I had thinking about the assignment when Jing gave it out, was how with mobile phones, people's privacy are deprived. Is there truly a place where we can feel safe now, a place away from the prying eyes of such technology?

No comments:

Post a Comment