Tuesday, August 16, 2011

First Contact

Stepping into this module, I thought I knew what it entailed. Thinking that it was a photography module, I was prepared to act the part of a professional photographer and snap artistic photos at free will. I was part of the Photography Society in my Junior College, but that committee never really taught me much photography skills. Either that, or it never retained in my memory. So I was all prepared to learn all the techniques I could to make me a better photographer. But it turns out the module was not about photography after all. It was more about digital imaging and its manipulation.

I have to admit I was a little disappointed that the module was not what I expected, but nonetheless I was eager to learn because before this, my Photoshop skills and other relevant computer software skills were very very limited. So I am more than happy, and looking forward to learning the skills required to excel in this module.

The first lecture did not touch much on the technical aspects of digital imaging. It was more like an introduction to the module, so Jing went through the assessment criteria and the workload that we would be expected to handle. The highlight of the lecture was definitely when Jing showed us various photos that won awards. It really altered my perception of what was defined as a "good photo". A visually blur photograph could win an international award based on the moment that it was capturing. It challenged my long-belief that "good photos" needed to, at least, be clear. Looks like I have much, much more to learn, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment